Italian Grand Prix 2018 – Race
- Lance Stroll finished P10 and Sergey Sirotkin P11 in the Italian Grand Prix
- Both cars started the race on the supersoft Pirelli tyre, with Lance starting P10 and Sergey P12
- Lance and Sergey both enjoyed clean starts to the race, and made up several positions on the opening lap before the Safety Car was deployed
- Lance ran as high as eighth, before pitting on lap 35 for the soft tyre
- Sergey ran as high as ninth, and pitted two laps later on lap 37 for the soft tyre
- Lance’s tenth place rewards the team with one point, taking its total tally to five
Paddy Lowe, Chief Technical Officer: It was a good job by the team and by the drivers, not least to get two cars home in a race that can be very tough, but also, we were really racing today. Unfortunately, we only got points with one car. It would’ve been great to get Sergey off the line on the points table. He drove a superb and faultless weekend, so it was a little bit undeserved. Having said that, well done to Lance. He got the better grid position and therefore the better position in the race. He drove an extremely controlled race, overtook when necessary, and got one point. Well done to the drivers, and to the team at the circuit and back at base. We’ve been making a lot of developments behind the scenes and I think some of these positive steps are starting to come into play.
Lance Stroll: Feeling good is an understatement. I hoped we would score points, but I didn’t really expect it. We didn’t expect coming into today we would have the pace to stay there, but we did. We were following Sainz all race and were catching him a little bit towards the end, so I am really happy with the job we did today and all weekend. We really nailed it this weekend in qualifying, the race and with the strategy. It was one of those weekends where it all just came together. The key was just solid work all weekend and everyone in the team played their part. I think this track suited us, but I am still going to be positive going into Singapore, as there last year we had pretty poor pace in qualifying, so qualified 18th, but finished eighth. There are always opportunities.
Sergey Sirotkin: It was a good race but not good enough. We had the pace to be in the points but unfortunately, as we saw, I wasn’t the luckiest car with blue flags and where I got them on track. There was a lot of race time lost there which is a shame. I enjoyed the fight and how the car felt pleased me. It allowed me to participate in a good fight and I really enjoyed it.