Williams Retrospective at 2016 Autosport International
The UK motorsport calendar has, for many years, always begun with the Autosport International show. It is a huge event taking place over several halls at Birmingham’s NEC with a mixture of both stands, static displays and live action.
2016 saw an extra reason to visit as the show also included a major retrospective of the Williams team. This included not only a selection of cars from the grand prix collection but also a number of personnel from the team and, for the first time outside of a grand prix event, the team’s motorhome.
Cars on display in front of the motor home included:
- FW06 – the team’s first car
- FW08C – won the driver’s title with Keke Rosberg
- FW11 – won the constructor’s championship with Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet
- FW14B – the car in which Nigel Mansell won the championship
- FW18 – the car in which Damon Hill won his championship
- FW25 – race winner in 2003 for Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya
- FW34 – race winner for Pastor Maldonado in 2013
- FW37 – last year’s entry driven by Felipe Massa and Valtteri Bottas
- CX75 – designed and built by Williams for Jaguar and featured in the latest James Bond movie, Spectre.
However, elsewhere at the show could also be found:
- Metro 6R4 – designed and built for Austin Rover the Metro 6R4 was Williams’ first work outside of F1. There were three on display across all the halls.
- FW36 – 2014’s F1 entry.
Interestingly there weren’t any Williams designed touring or Le Mans cars anywhere.
Below are some pictures of all the cars mentioned above along with shots of the motor home.